Building regulations


The installation of wood burning and multifuel stoves is work that is controlled under Building Regulations (Document J), as is the installation of flues associated with wood burning stoves. Anyone fitting a wood burning stove must at least be competent at DIY and be familiar with the procedures and regulatory requirements of undertaking such work.

You always have the option of using a HETAS registered engineer or contact a local council planning officer to come and view your plans. When complete, the installation will have to be certified by either the engineer or the planning officer.

We recommend you make yourself familiar with the building regulations associated with your installation, select this link here to the current edition of Document J for Combustion appliances and fuel storage systems.

If you would like to talk through your proposed installation with our HETAS trained advisors, please do not hesitate to contact us here.